Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hey! Hey! Let's go Back to Day One!



Sold to Private Collector
Le Mariage Shibori Kimono in Off the Grid
Cassandra Classics Swarovski crystal bracelet
with Sterling Silver bangles


Hey...hey, hey!

"Let's go back. Let's go back to Day One!!!"

There's no better time than the present. Quite, literally. It's a new year and a new opportunity to grow. "Can you feel a brand new day...can you feel a brand new day?" Take a look around you...the sun is shining! (excerpt from The Wiz, eh, Dorothy?)" Getting back to Day One is simply getting back to me. Joyous me, creative me... ever enthusiastic me. It's a way of grounding myself, and allowing the memories to surface.

As in "The Clan of the Cave Bear", I find if I sit quietly, walk in the sunshine or gaze at the cornflower blue sky speckled with multi-colored clouds, the "memories" come back to me in surprising colors, tones, shades and limitless combinations of the spectrum of light that lay just beneath the surface of my consciousness. Always there awaiting my summons, a continuous thrum, a rhythm, a muted drumbeat ("Like the rhythms that you find...in the circles of your mind").

The "memories of the people" they called it in the book. I draw from that source, that memory, when I begin to work from concept to inception to the final art work. It is intuitive, and I discover the "masterpiece" along the way during and throughout the process. Many times my students have asked me, "When do you decide this or that? How do you know when it is finished?"  I can only answer that by quoting Michelangelo.  "When it is finished!"  When the Pope, referring to the painting of the Sistine Chapel, repeatedly and insistently queried Michelangelo, "When will you make an end?",  Michelangelo, unhesitatingly answered, "When I am done!!!Bravo, paisan...Bravo.


Hold this thought, and I will be right back. I can't say it any better than this excerpt from an African American poem: "Don't you be what you Ain't. You just be what you Is...and go your Own way!"   'Nuf said... Amen.


1/12/11 (8:30 a.m.)
Hey, I'm back, and on second thought, this blog is complete as is.  Being true to oneself is a unique and valuable thing.  Michelangelo knew this.  Da Vinci knew this.  Like stepping to the drumbeat one hears, it takes confidence and dedication.  Dedication to artistic creation.  Dedication to a life lived well.

"So, let it be written...so, let it be said."   Suvate.


All images, text and content copyrighted, 2011, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...